How to apply a 10 years visa from US Embassy based on my experience?
Not less than two days before the Interview day.
1. Browse through the US Visa official website at https://www.vfs-usa-my.com/ApplnForms/howtoapply.aspx Make sure you read and chew, as there is no “give and take”-business with US Embassy.
2. Go to Alliance Bank to pay the application fee of RM492.00 (RM460.00 for US Embassy while RM32.00 for VFS service). Remember, it is non-refundable. Regardless your visa is approved or not. If approved, yeay, go back and celebrate…if not, considered you pay their lunch.
3. Take an instant passport photo for US Visa purpose. If you think you can re-use your current passport photo, forget it. The size and the background color are totally different. Don’t ever think to smile or get your hair done. No use. You are required to remain silly with both ears visible. 6 pieces for RM15, but serious shit, they gonna ask only 1 piece from you. Don't forget to ask for softcopy. You gonna need it for online photo upload later.
4. Login to the US Visa official website at https://www.vfs-usa-my.com/ApplnForms/Agreement.aspx and complete the DS-160 online form. Upload your photo as well. Remember, do download the step by step guide, before you lost your mind. Though it’s easy, beware of "time out". Keep saving and saving and saving the form, for easy upload. Or else? You have to re-do, over and over and over again. Don’t say that I don't warn you guys. It’s really frustrating ok!
5. Print the confirmation page of DS-160 at the end of the journey. But don’t get overwhelm. It doesn’t end there. You should send a copy to your email for a backup. Why? Because it has a CEAC code that you need to keep, in order to set an interview.
6. Now, come to the stage where you have to set an appointment for interview. Key in the receipt no. (remember? That RM492.00? Helloooo…) as well as the CEAC code. A set of date will appear but you can only view it. Don’t worry, you can pick both, date and the given time slot, later. Interview can only be set two days after, or more. Make sure you pick the earliest slot coz the earlier, the faster. Just to ensure that you won’t end up mix up in the next slot. Print the invitation letter out! Without this invitation letter, you are not welcome, as low as stray dogs.
7. Last but not least, wait for the day to be happened! Prepare for what you will say and practice it with whomever next to you. Haha!
The Interview day.
1. Go early (but not too early, maybe 15minutes before) and stay in line. Make sure you are in the correct time slot queue (or the guard will yell straight to your face). Queue for a number, by hand in your invitation letter and your IC to the guard. Get the number and re-queue in the same line. Walk faster or the person behind you will take your spot.
2. Wait for your turn to be invited into the guard house. Once entered, you have to take out all of your belongings to be scanned. You? Yea, how bout you? You aren’t going to skip the screening part as well. Take off any metal accessories (I got buzzed coz I wore metal belt. Stupid!) Leave your electronic gadgets at the guard house as well. Don’t worry, they have a set of pigeon holes to place into, according to the no. given to you. Don’t be such a bragger who shows all his/her laptop, iphone, blackberry, ipod, hi-fi, home theater and lcd tv, ok? Handbag and file case are allowed.
3. Walk straight to the lobby. You gonna find another screening post to enter. This time, the guard will raid your handbag thoroughly. He even questioned my lipstick palette! With his Mr.Potato mustache…arghhh!
4. Look right. There is a table next to Mr.Potato. Press the button on the numbering machine. Wait in the waiting hall to your right. Be alert to be called upon. Always look up at the screen but you are allowed to look down once in a while. Hehe.
5. Once you no. being called, walk out from the hall and enter the opposite hall. You will pass by Mr. Potato again. Don’t say hi, just walk straight into the hall. Quick! Don’t make the officer wait for you. Lots of people waiting there. Yes, you can also wait in here actually, but I didn't know that. So blame me for step no. 4. The officer will greet you and you should do the same. Hand in ONLY the required documents. Put away all the supporting documents. I suggest, bring a file to separate them. Or else, they gonna throw it straight to your face. Hahaha no la. These are the needed docs:
A) A piece of Visa photo
B) Alliance Bank original receipt (Embassy's copy)
C) Invitation letter
D) CEAC confirmation letter
E) Original passport (old and new)
6. The officer then will process your application. He/she will take all the required docs and ask you whether you’ve been to US before or not. If not, the conversation stops there. If yes, only God knows what’s next. The officer will take a copy of your queue number. Remember, keep the other half. You gonna use it twice more.
7. Sit down and relax. Don’t be too anxious like me. I’ve been looking left and right, to copy what others are doing. Wait till you are called for biometrics. Watch the soundless TV on how to place your hand on the scanner. Do not mess up like one stupid lady just now. She put all of her fingers on the scanner. And yes, don’t be surprise if the number is not in sequence. Again, only God knows why. At this point, single numbers don’t have any priority.
8. Once called, walk gracefully like me, towards the counter. The officer will again greet you like he/she is your next door neighbor. She will repeat the instruction as you follow what she instructs you to do. Place your four left fingers, followed by four right fingers, and end with both thumbs. Smile and go back to your seat (if and only if, no one took it…)
9. Be alert for the next session. It’s the final stage where everyone would feels like pee-ing while re-sitting SPM. The no. again being jumbled up. You have more or less 15minutes to surreptitiously hear what others being asked. Learn the way they answer and study the way the officer reply. Don't scratch your skinhead. Dandruff will fall.
10. Out of nowhere, your no. being called. Oh god! Don’t panic! Don’t panic! Inhale…exhale…walk confidently towards the counter and smile. Forget others who are looking at you like you are crazy horse. Smile, smile like you are the Miss Universe of 2010. Greet the officer. Opposite sex will have different behavior. Do not pass anything to him/her yet. Be patient. Stay put and look forward. The officer will greet you and start asking.
A) Why you wanna go to US?
B) Are you married?
C) Are your parents in Malaysia?
D) Do you have any friends or relatives in US?
E) How many days will you be in US?
F) Are you working in Malaysia?
G)What’s your salary look like?
*Questions are varies depend on the purpose of your visit.
I answered : "I wanna go to United States to cook for my husband. He only eats rice, ikan kayu and petai. I need to eye on him so that he won’t go to any strip club to get a lap dance."
Haha. No lah! At this point, the officer will ask you to provide the supporting documents. Hand in one by one and explain what the document is for. As for my case, working for IBM, offer a wide open door for me to walk into US. Provided, you have no bad record like prostitution, imprison, drug, money laundering or etc. BTW, who gonna admit that?
11. The officer will straight away decides whether your visa is approved or not. Don’t be happy if you receive your passport straight away. No. You shouldn’t be happy. It means, your visa is being rejected. Go home. Bye-bye. You should be happy if you don’t get your passport at that particular moment, and get a small square blue manila card, stated where and when to collect your visa. This card is the guarantee for your visa and passport collection on the next day.
12. Now, you can go home and start buying flight ticket!!! Owh! Don't forget to claim back your electronic gadgets at the guard house! Okies?